Save Your Back!- The Work Zone- Briana Hood
After the common cold, lower back problems are the most common causes of lost time and compensation in adults under the age of 45. Such pain results in $126 billion in compensation and medical costs each year
Tips to prevent back injury and pain:
- Practice good posture and try to maintain good physical condition
- Whenever possible, use mechanical equipment to avoid manual lifting
- Before manually lifting an object, size up the job first
- If the job is too big to handle safely on your own, find someone to help you
- When lifting, stand close to the object, bend at the knees, and keep your back straight.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles and lift with the muscles in your arms and legs, not your back
- Hold the object close to your body and never twist your back while handling a load
- If you must turn, do so by moving your feet
- When setting an object down, apply all of the same techniques.
There is never a good enough reason to compromise safety!
Join Ross County Safety Council and our members on September 10th at the Ohio University-Chillicothe ERTC for Ross County Safety Day! This will be a free picnic and demonstration event to highlight safety topics important to business. To register visit www.chillicotheohio.com and click Chamber Calendar. For more information about this event or available sponsorship’s please call 740-702-2722.
~Briana Hood- Workforce, Safety Council and Office Manager